بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
This is a popular side rice dish served often in the Mediterranean regions, from Cyprus going across to the Middle East. It is a tasty simple recipe that compliments any main course.
(This recipe is for one cup of rice only so adjust to however many cups you usually make)
1 cups basmati rice
2 tablespoons of Vermicelli (I use the fatter ones)
2 cups of water
2 tbsp salt or to taste
2-3 tbsn of ghee or if you prefer sunflower oil
1. Wash rice till water runs clear and then leave to soak for about 20-30 minutes.
2. Melt ghee in pan and add the vermicelli and brown. Be careful not to burn, stay close and keep stirring.
3. Now add the rice and stir well till rice is coated and mixed well with noodles.
4. Add the water and salt to taste, mix and leave to cook until water is soaked up.
5. When water has be mostly soaked up either put into oven at 5 degrees Celsius or soak a clean dish cloth in water, ring out and place on top of pot as not to touch the rice. Put lids on and fold the parts of cloth hanging over on top of lid, turn heat low and allow rice to cook. If you have a diffuser or a tava place this at bottom of pot.
6. After 5 mins turn off heat and allow to sit for another five mins. Then remove lid and carefully with a fork fluff up rice.
7. Serve as side dish with meal.
Bil-hana wa ash shifa'a! :)